Free School Meals
Did you know just registering your child for Free School Meals means that the school gets extra money to support your child in their learning? The Government gives extra money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. For every child registered at our school, (who is eligible for Free School Meals) the school gets a lump sum and the money is used to provide resources and extra support for your child so that they can achieve their potential.
School meals are a great way to meet your child’s nutritional needs and the application process is easy – a short form to complete and return to the school office where it will be processed. There are so many benefits of school lunches:
- They are healthy and nutritionally balanced
- Convenient - can help you save time in the mornings by not having to prepare a packed lunch
- Children benefit from sitting down together at a table and can try new foods
- Help children concentrate and perform well at school
- Help your child towards the target of consuming ‘5-a-day'
- Promote children’s social skills, table manners and ability to make informed meal choices
- Allow children to relax in a safe, supervised environment with friends
- Your child can enjoy theme menus such as a St David's Day special
- Good value for money
How are we encouraging healthy eating?
- Torfaen Schools participate in the Healthy Schools Scheme which promotes healthy living
- Ensuring a whole school/cross curricular approach to healthy eating
- Opening fruit tuck shops
- Free milk for all nursery and infant pupils
- Providing breakfast
- Forming School Nutrition Action Groups (SNAGs) so children can influence healthy meal choices
- Promoting regular exercise
Application forms for FSM are available from the main school office, class teachers or from:
Croesyceiliog Community Education Centre, The Highway, Croesyceiliog.
Tel: 01633 647715/19 or by email on email@example.com.
Alternatively you can download an application form using the links below, where you will also find answers to frequently asked questions from Welsh Government.